Fadekemi Olufunmilayo Oginni, BChD, FMCDS, FWACS, FIBCSOMS, MHPE, MD
Fadekemi Olufunmilayo Oginni graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife in the year 1989. She completed her Internship at the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Ile-Ife Nigeria (1989-1990) and proceeded on National Youth Service Corp at the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital Kano between 1990 and 1991. She was a Dental Officer at the Government Dental Center Zaria Road under the Kano State Health Management Board from 1991 to May 1993 before joining the Residency Training Program at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital. She completed her training in the year 1999 and joined the Obafemi Awolowo University / Teaching Hospital Complex as a Lecturer I and Honorary Consultant, respectively. She rose through the rank and file (Senior Lecturer-2003; Associate Professor -2006 and Professor-2009) and remains in the services of both Institutions till date. She was Head of Department 2008-2011 and is the current Head of Department (2020 -date)
DAAD Scholar – 2005
ACPA Visiting Scholar – 2010
WHO mentor Mentee Awardee- focusing on Injury prevention in Nigeria- 2014
TETFUND Scholar – obtained a Masters degree in Health Professions Education 2017-2019
Editor of the Nigerian Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery (2016-2020)
Prof. Oginni has a special dedication to the treatment of cleft lip and palate malformations. For close to two decades she has been performing primary (closure of lip and palate) and secondary (bone grafting of the maxilla, rhinoplasty, advancement of the maxilla) operations.
Prof. Oginni held the position of the Editor-in-Chief of the Nigerian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016-2020 and Associate Editor Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences.
She is also active in undergraduate and postgraduate dental education. A Board member of the Obafemi Awolowo University Post Graduate College. Member of the University Quality Assurance and Strategic Plan Monitoring Committee (December 2012-2017)
She supervises thesis at Master and Ph.D. levels.
1. Invited Speaker: Distinguished Faculty Lecturer, at the School of Dentistry University of Benin 1st Faculty Lecture entitled “Orofacial anomalies; Myths and Legends”. Delivered on the 3rd of August 2016 at the Akin Deko Hall University of Benin. ISBN 978-978-956-191-9. pg 1-108
2. Invited Speaker: The Partners in Africa for Cleft Training (PACT) workshop 2013 I delivered a lecture titled ‘Socio-cultural practices affecting cleft care in Africa’.
3. Invited Speaker 2013 International Conference of Speech Pathology and Audiology Association of Nigeria (SPAAN) held between 20th and 23rd of May 2013 at airport hotel Lagos. I presented a paper entitled “Speech care for cleft palate patients in Nigeria: A voice for the future”.
4. Oginni F.O., Adenekan A.T. Prevention of orofacial clefts in developing world: Keeping pace with the emerging trend. May 2012 Seychelles. 7th Biennial Congress of the International cleft Palate Foundation held in Mahe Seychelles 7th – 11th May 2012. Invited Speaker and Chairperson scientific session.
5. Nigerian Medical Association Ondo-State. Continuing Medical Education Lectures Maxillofacial Trauma 2012.
6. Nigerian Medical Association Osun-State Continuing Medical Education participant and resource person September 2011(Oral diseases).
7. 68th American Cleft Palate Association Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference held in San Juan April 2011. “I presented a paper on my experience with cleft care delivery a year after Visiting scholarship”.
8. Invited speaker, 4th Annual Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Association of Orthodontists October 2010. NAO 4th Meeting 2010 October. I delivered a lecture titled “Cleft care in Nigeria: It takes a team”.
9. 72nd American Cleft Palate Association Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference held in Palm Springs April 2015. “I presented a paper titled “Factors associated with conception and birth of children with non-syndromic cleft lip and palate in a southwestern Nigerian population.”.
10. Pan African Conference of Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon Nairobi 2014 presented a paper on ‘Rare Facial clefts presenting in a Nigerian Tertiary facility: Prevalence, treatment, and outcome of care.
11. 21st International Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery held in Palau de Congressos de Catalunya Barcelona Spain 21st -24th October 2013. I presented a paper entitled a four-year prospective study on the epidemiology and clinical presentation of Odontogenic tumors in Nigeria.
12. 12th International Congress on Cleft Lip/ Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies held from 5th-10th May 2013 in Lake Buenna Vista, Florida United States of America. I presented a paper entitled “Prevalent risk factors for non-syndromic cleft lip and palate in a southwestern Nigerian population.
13. 20th International Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Santiago Chile 1st-4th November 2011. I presented two papers titled “A year prospective study on the epidemiology and clinical presentation of odontogenic tumors in Nigeria” and “A review of cleft palate repairs in a Nigerian Teaching Hospital”.
14. 67th American Cleft Palate Association Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference held in Dallas Texas March 2010. I presented a paper entitled Cleft care in Nigeria to the ACPA International outreach committee.
15. 4th International conference on birth defects and disabilities in developing countries and Pre-conference workshop at Hotel Le-Meriden New Delhi. Presented a paper titled “Prevalent risk factors associated with cleft lip and palate in Nigerian patients” 4th-7th October 2009 New Delhi India.
16. 19th International Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Shanghai. 23rd-27th May 2009. Presented a paper titled, “Seasonal variations of conception dates in some Nigerian cleft lip and palate patients.”
17. 18th International Conference of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Bangalore India, presented a paper titled “A prospective study of prevalent factors in Dry socket patients presenting in a Nigerian Hospital. Also, Chairperson of a Scientific session on Orthognathic surgery (…..)
18. Third International Conference on birth defects and disabilities in the developing world 17th-21st June 2007. Hotel Gloria Rio de Janeiro. Presented a paper titled Knowledge and cultural beliefs about the aetiology and management of facial clefts in some Nigerian Ethnic groups.
19. International Cleft lip and palate Foundation Conference June 2006. Eastbourne United Kingdom. I presented a paper titled “Knowledge and cultural belief about the aetiology of facial clefts in Nigeria: A pilot study”.
20. 17th Conference of the International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Vienna Austria (29thAugust-2ndSeptember 2005) I presented a paper titled “Changing trend of Maxillofacial Fractures in Sub-Urban Nigerians”.
SERVICE TO THE PROFESSION
• Board Member IBCSOMS (2019-date)
• Member University Quality Assurance and strategic planning Committee (2012-2017)
• Member, Local organizing committee of the Pan African conference on Cleft lip and Palate (2007)
• Member, Local Organizing Committee (LOC) 12th Annual General Meeting &Scientific Conference of the National Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (NAPRAS) 2007.
• Member of the International Outreach Committee of the ACPA (April 2011 – 2014)
• Co-Chair of the International Outreach Committee of the ACPA (2015)
• Chairman Faculty of Dentistry Handbook Committee 2004-2005
• Member fundraising committee 40th Anniversary Obafemi Awolowo University
• Member, Local Organizing Committee, NPMCN, All Fellow’s Day October 2000
• Member, Local Organizing Committee, NPMCN All Fellow’s Day October 2014
• Faculty Chairman of Postgraduate Committee, Obafemi Awolowo University (2012-date)
• Editor-in-Chief, Nigerian Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2016-2020)
1. Member, Association of Standardized Patients Educators (2017 to Date)
2. Member Nigerian Association of University Women (2016 to Date)
3. Member Graduate Women International (2016 to Date)
4. Fellow International College of Dentists (2014 to Date)
5. Member, American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association (2010 to Date)
6. Fellow, West African College of Surgeons (2007 to Date)
7. International Cleft lip and palate foundation (2006 to Date)
8. Pan African Burn Society (2004 to Date)
9. International Association for Dental Research (2002 to Date)
10. Nigerian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon (2002 to Date)
11. Pan African Association of Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon (2006 to Date)
12. International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2000 to Date)
13. Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria (2000 to Date).
14. Fellow, National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (1999 to Date)
15. Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (1993 to 1999)
16. Nigerian Dental Association. (1989 to Date)
17. Nigerian Medical Association. (1989 to Date)
18. Medical Women’s Association of Nigeria. (1989 to Date)
AWARDS & HONOURS WITH DATES.
Distinctions in Oral Anatomy (1985)
Distinction in Oral Physiology. (1985)
Distinction in Oral Surgery\Oral Pathology. (1989)
Best Overall result, Final BChD Class. (1989)
Best House Officer (1990)
Best female Lecturer (2014)
i. DAAD Scholar (2005)
ii. American Cleft Palate Association Visiting Scholar (2010)
iii. Stecker Scholar Nationwide Children’s Hospital (2015)
c) Fellowships: (FIBCSOMS) (FICD) (FWACS) (FMCDS)
d) International Awards:
i. Smile Train Travel Grant Awardee (2006)
ii. Fellow International College of Dentists (2014)
iii. WHO VIP Mentor-Mentee Awardee (2014)
iv. ACPA Visiting scholar (2010)
v. Stecker Scholar Nationwide Children’s Hospital USA (2015)
Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife